History

The Institute was started by the late Swami Vishveshvaranand and the late Swami Nityanand, at Shantakuti, Shimla, in 1903, for the preparation of a Vedic lexicon. By 1910, they were able to bring out the Alphabetical Indices to the padapathas of Rigveda, Yajurveda (Madhyandina), Samaveda (Kauthuma) and Atharvaveda (Shaunaka). After Swami Nityanand had passed away in 1918, Swami Vishveshvaranand continued the work at Shimla till the time, when as required by the Holkar Darbar, which agreed to finance the project, the office was shifted to Indore. Five years later, Swami Ji felt an urge to have the office established at Lahore where he entrusted the first Director, the late Acharya Dr. Vishva Bandhu, with the task of reorganising and running the same as a regular, privately managed, voluntary institution. The latter took that burden on himself and started the work of V. V. R. Institute as it eventually came to be designated, from January 1, 1924. He was encouraged in this solemn vow, which he thus took upon himself, of life-long labour of love, with the blessings and co-operation he received in this behalf, from Sarvashri Rai Bahadur Lala Mul Raj, Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya, Mahatma Hans Raj, Lala Lajpat Rai, Bhai Paramanand, Principal Sain Das, Dr. A.C. Woolner, Bakshi Sir Tek Chand, Dr. Mehar Chand Mahajan, Dewan Anand Kumar, Dr. G.L. Dutta, Prof. Veda Vyasa and other leading luminaries of the time. Among them, the contributions made by Dewan Anand Kumar, who served the Institute Society as Vice-President and later on, as President for well over three decades, and Prof. Veda Vyasa who remained the President of the Institute Society from 16.4.1982 to 15.3.1983 to the stability and progress of the Institute are as remarkable as they are memorable. It was during their tenures as President that the Institute became the prime beneficiary of the handsome bequest of a renowned Sanskrit Scholar Dr. Ludwik Sternbach, a French national of Polish origin. Ten years later, the Research Department of D.A.V. College Management which had been running at Lahore since 1917, for the collection, preservation and publication of ancient manuscripts and for carrying on researches in Sanskrit and Indian History, was also placed under the charge of Acharya Dr.Visha Bandhu as its Director. Since then, both the Institute and said Department continued functioning practically, as one unified institution.

   

Research and Cultural Department

Both, scholarly and cultural works brought out by several departments on the side of

  1. Vedic literature and lexicography,
  2. Linguistic and allied sciences
  3. Critical text-editing
  4. History
  5. Philosophy and Religion
  6. Bibliography and General Indological Research and
  7. Cultural and general publication in Sanskrit, Hindi, Punjabi and English, has since long been recognised at the national and the international levels.

The popular literature, which the Institute brings out in Hindi, Punjabi, Sanskrit and English, based on Indological researches and general studies, aims at propagating the quintessence of the ancient and the modern wisdom of mankind towards the development of an emotionally integrated and balanced and harmonised human personality, which is a sine qua non for the establishment of national harmony and international peace.

 

read more

Publication

So far, the Institute has issued in Sanskrit, Hindi, Punjabi and English, over 900 research and popular works relating to the various branches of Indology, namely language and literature, history, religion, philosophy and culture in general. By virtue of its number as well as standard, the publication work of the Institute has already won universal recognition.

Book-Agency :

The Sales Department of the Institute known as the Vishveshvaranand Book Agency, arranges for the distribution of all priced publications of the Institute. It also meets its customers' demands for the supply of various types of outside publications.

Press :

The V.V.R.I, Press, which the Institute has been running since 1933 on commercial lines, is a veritable boon not only to the Institute itself in that it attends, so efficiently, to its constant, voluminous and specialistic publication work, but also, to other educational institutions to whose regular assignments it caters to their satisfaction.

read more

Library

The Institute Library (Now being managed by P.U.) by virtue of its present holding of nearly one lakh printed books and papers and about 10,000 ancient manuscripts, including about 4,000 Palm-leaf manuscripts written in different South Indian scripts, is the largest Indological reference Unit in N.W. India, to which teachers and researchers resort from different places in India and abroad for refreshing their knowledge and doing research work. (The manuscripts now stand transferred to D.A.V. Management). The Reading Room attached to the Library is regularly provided with about 200papers and other periodicals.

read more

Museum

The Archaeological Museum housed in the Library building contains a rich collection of sculpture, Harappan and other relics (in original and in cast) and paintings and photographs of archaeological monuments from all over India. The Museum was opened by Dr. G.S. Pathak, Vice-President of India, on November 7, 1971. This Museum, which is attracting a large number of visitors, is a very valuable addition to the existing manifold facilities available at the Institute-site, towards studies in Indian history and culture.

read more